Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Most Frustrating

I watched "A River Runs Through it" last night. It's setting, Montana in the 1910's-30's. I watched in awe of what our country used to be like. We are no longer kin to those Americans of less than one hundred years ago. We are no longer a people built on self reliance. We are no longer a people who look no further than our own two hands to provide the necessities and luxuries of life.
How can you miss something you never knew? I do though. I feel the dream I was told was distinctly American as a child is no more than a myth. Where is Thomas Jefferson's "Yeomen Farmer"? There was a time when Americans thought the government ought not do much. Now Americans look for the government to save them, save their companies, and their hard earned money. The free market has been nationalized. Corporations now are propped up by government funding. It is madness. I cannot stomach this. This is a slap in the face of our forefathers.

How weak are we? I hear cries who shall save us? You shall and you shall only!

We are fine as long as this false security of government economic protection holds. The government bailouts of, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and A.I.G., secure the crooked business dealings of unethical business heads. Let them burn. I say let them burn, and I will fiddle my guts out.
If I can't get America back to its roots I want to live in a place where I can't be bothered by government bailouts and social programs. I want to find a place where the only rope I use to pull myself up by is a rope I paid for by sweat or hard earned cash.

There are no free gifts from the government.

Austin Sense

No comments: